Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
A La Carte. Brilliant Band Releases Debut Album
Carl Noonan
A La Carte were a very popular band who trod the boards with the likes of Van Halen in the latter half of the 70's. They sold out the clubs, had a massive following and should have been huge but sadly despite a great image and superb musical chops they never got a deal. However, 40 years on the band have recorded 10 of their live favorites and just released their debut album "A La Carte Est. 1976".
Probably the longest time it's taken anyone to release their debut album but I am glad they did because it's brilliant. The 3 piece band play fantastic hard rock that sounds like Roth era Van Halen meeting ZZ Top with a bit of Van Wilks mixed in but with their own sound. It's hard to pin their sound but it's great. Please check them out.

Here's what Gene Hoglan said about them a few months ago

Gene Hoglan - International Drum Superstar - Testament , Dethklok, Galaktikon, Meldrum, Strapping Young Lad, Death, Dark Angel:

"A La Carte helped mold my teenage rock sensibilities, as they were the most entertaining, explosive three-piece in LA. Their powerhouse boogie & blues was an absolute influence on the entire LA scene, and lemme tell ya, in my opinion, there'd be no Van Halen without the mightiness of A La Carte: A La Carte's blatant stamp is ALL over VH I and VH II.... make no mistake about it, their influence upon the soon-to-be superstars is obvious. And I've made no bones about their obscenely-talented drummer Brian O'Brian's complete influence on my entire life. From ZZ Top's swagger, to the Isley Brothers' strut, like Rolling a Stone down a Mountain, A La Carte has all bases of boogie covered, and their rock is timeless and ageless. Bow and thank the rock gods for A La Carte. I know I do."

Gene Hoglan
October 2017

The cd can be purchased from their website https://alacarte.rocks/

Digital copies are available at Amazon and Itunes

https://www.amazon.com/Carte-Est-1976/dp/B078RYBW3X/ref

https://itunes.apple.com/album/id/1330809348

There is some great footage on Youtube too, here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnwm300p2Bw

gdazegod
Great band, which I first learned about courtesy of Legs Diamond super-fan John Watson, way back in 1981. He sent me a cassette which had about 4 or 5 songs onboard.. I memorised those religiously. I have that tape somewhere.

I put a SleazeRoxx article up on John's page a few weeks back, so am glad this is finally seeing the light decades later.

Explorer
You know, I`ve got that cassette lurking around somewhere too!, John sent me a copy as well when I was working at Bullet Records. John`s influence and tapes were legendary.

Carl Noonan
Yep, me too John is a legend. I wrote to him after seeing his name mentioned in a "Sounds" feature about American bands, Legs D standing out. He sent me some stuff and pretty much turned me onto many bands I'd never heard of.

david
Carl, I think that was the Geoff Barton review of Firepower, that mentioned John. If my memory is correct it was 2 page spread with four or five other bands. Seb Kozak will know, as I am sure he posted the article on his fb page.

gdazegod
What was the song where they sung about a bottle of whiskey? Can't remember the title..

Carl Noonan
It's called "Old #7"

Explorer
The 2 page Sounds spread you talk about David does indeed mention John as well as myself. I sent Mr Barton a free copy of Firepower in return for a mention of Bullet Records, which he did, and yes Sebastian Kozak has posted that spread on his Facebook page.

Explorer
The article in question is titled `Working for the Yankee Dollar` and is actually a 3 page feature dated December 1st 1979...the Glorydaze eh?, and features reviews of not just the Legs Diamond, but also the likes of Storm, Zon, 1994, David Werner and many, many more.If I knew how to I`d post it up on here, it's a great read.

darkblue
This sounds very interesting indeed!

rkbluez
Great retro stuff Carl gonna have to pick up the CD...thanks for the tip.

Carl Noonan
Glad you like it Steve, I think it's one of the best albums I've heard for a while.
Just wish more people would check it out as I'm sure some would like it too.

reyno-roxx
What are the shipping costs to the UK? Doesn't appear to specify that on the website.

Carl Noonan
I ordered through their site initially when it first went up and Paypal added a charge of $4 automatically but then I got a refund and apology as the pricing for international orders was wrong. I had to do it manually and it cost $13.50 for the shipping.
It is expensive but worth it. It appears only the bigger companies like Amazon and CD Baby can offer lower shipping costs these days due to bulk discounts they get off the postal services.
It can be of putting to international buyers and I have cancelled a number of purchases at check out stage when the shipping has been too high. However, I look at it like "how much would I waste on sweets and chocolate etc" during a week? Comes to a lot more than $13 and I've got something that I can keep forever and get repeated enjoyment from.

Explorer
I know this has been talked about before, but the shipping costs involved from the US and Japan are getting ridiculous. I`m looking at getting this too, so thanks for the update Carl.

reyno-roxx
Yep, thanks Carl. I too look at whether the cost of shipping is worth it for the product I want to obtain. I used to buy quite a lot from Secondspin, but had to stop that due to the number of packages that began getting stopped at customs. I have no objection to paying the customs charge, but the Post Office 'admin' fee I DO object to.
I was impressed with CD Japan when I used them for the first time last year.
What I have noticed with Amazon UK of late is that some companies that I used to get great deals on (Round3Uk) are now charging what they want on postage (now £3.99). Still relatively cheap, but it looks like you're getting a real bargain on some titles before you take the new shipping charges into consideration.
Edited by reyno-roxx on 21-01-2018 09:49

david
I too have cancelled CDs at the check out due to high postage costs, i now get them sent to a mate in the states and he posts them on to me. I reimburse him the postage which is a fraction of the cost.

rkbluez
Just got the CD in sounds great...no huge booklet but it's the music that matters and if you like 70's power trio hard rock this ones for you...thanks Carl for the tip.

Carl Noonan
Glad you like it Steve, it's a gem, love the instrumental track that really shows off their chops.

opbrekke
Am I the only one that think this sounds quite a bit like Pat Travers from the 70 s? As well as the obvious ZZ Top.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Bolton, Michael - 1993 The One Thing, Motorhead - 2013 Aftershock, Radiation Romeos - 2017 Radiation Romeos, Hartmann - 2007 Home, Exile - 1981 Heart And Soul, Rush - 1987 Hold Your Fire, American Noise - 1980 American Noise, Coppertree - 2001 Coppertree, Sugarcreek - 1981 Live At The Roxy, Jordan, Marc - 1983 A Hole In The Wall, Easton, Sheena - 1981 You Could Have Been With Me, Earforce - 1982 Hot Line, Bobbies, The - 1993 Supersongs, Nexx - 2003 Colours, Badfinger - 1979 Airwaves
Tags©
Venturia Pat McManus Mamas Boys From The Fire VXN Best Of 2010 Silent Rage Strangeways Ian Stewart Robby Valentine Rock Candy Records Lionheart (UK) Buxx Dragon David Bowie Circle II Circle Best Of 2013 Krokus Dollar Darkology Michael Harris Arlan Day Ratata Rock Candy Records Le Roux Rock Candy Records King Kobra Helloween Dare Y&T Judas Priest Artimus Pyle Band Alvin Lee Ten Years After Magnum Hammersmith The Bright
All Tags