Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Vixen - Self-titled debut & "Rev It Up"
jeffrey343
I've been in a chick-rock place the past several months, and I've bought several CDs based on reviews from this site. One of the bands that I've really come to enjoy is Vixen. The first album was pretty good, but 'Rev It Up' is great. Janet Gardner's vocals aren't quite in the league with some of the most highly-regarded ladies who have been reviewed on this site, but she has a fine voice nonetheless. The musicianship is more solid than spectacular. But, these CDs contain some super-polished gems. 'Rev It Up' is one of those CDs I can leave in the changer for weeks and not tire of. Not too hard, not too wimpy, just good & smooth with just the right amount of edge.

Eric
I kind of ignored Vixen, since I had given up on AOR with the 'Hair band' explosion around this time. I still go back to The Runaways as trashy as they were. Joan Jett's first solo was good too and while I disliked Lita Ford for playing the same stuff as Vixen- she was fun to look at wasn't she?yummy

gdazegod
Too right Eric. You never know, a Vixen review might be in the offing one day.

jeffrey343
I've been playing 'Rev It Up' today, and I feel compelled to make the comment that it a whole lot more like a lot of the stuff we worship on this site (like Lee Aaron, Witness, etc.) than the typical hair metal of that day. Back in 1989 and 1990, I was listening a fair amount to the first two Richard Marx CDs, and this is fairly comparable to them too. No sleaze with these gals, definitely more AOR than metal - I gotta say 'Rev It Up' has become one of my all-time faves the past year. Their first one is also pretty darn good, just not as consistent. I've listened to a lot of the Joan Jett & Lita Ford material, and this is clearly better IMO.

Traveller in time
Vixen is great.... i'm surching now since years the first demo. Vixen covers the song 'You oughta know by now' from Ray Kennedy. And this
fantastic song is only on this demo tape. In the earlier days they open
their live performance with this song.
Does anybody perhaps have this demo ?

Alf

gdazegod
Ask Edwin (aka aorheart). He is a collector of female fronted AOR. He might just have something.

gdazegod
Both done. Thanks Jeff.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Europe - 2006 Secret Society, Leverage - 2008 Blind Fire, Messendger - 1982 Messendger, Deasy, Bill - 2003 Good Day No Rain, Romeo's Daughter - 1993 Delectable, Blue Cheer - 1984 The Beast Is.. Back, Best Of 2012 - 2013 (englandashes), Samuel Purdey - 1999 Musically Adrift, Best Of 2010 - 2011 Dangerzone, Sweet Crystal - 2001 Interview with Marq Andrew Speck, Brainstorm - 2016 Scary Creatures, Masque - 2008 Face First, 24 Unity - 2000 24 Unity, Yesterday And Today - 1976 Yesterday And Today, Turf - 1980 Crime Of Passion
Tags©
Steve Miller Band Mercury Fang Dio Michael Stanley Band Mark Spiro Asian Typhoon Jacklyn EP Accept Live Albums Dion Bayman Supared Paris (France) David Gilmour Robbie Patton Departure Gambler Place Vendome Firew?lfe Midnite Club Stallion (USA) Daylight Robbery Paul Stanley Kiss Steffanie Sahara (Sweden) Black Sabbath Matthew Guarnere M.D.G Randy Meisner Allies Extreme Stories Ian Lloyd Huey Lewis
All Tags