Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Headphones vs Earplugs, Wired vs Bluetooth
gdazegod
Recently, I decided to improve my aural experience by purchasing a decent set of wired headphones for my Android smartphone.

Previously, I've used earplugs (who hasn't?) and bluetooth headphones, both providing a less than stellar experience.

Firstly, bluetooth. Honestly, what a 'pain in the ass' technology this is! Constant switching on-off, in many instances, I had trouble trying to sync the phone to the device, and on occasion it would cut out. So unreliable.

As for earlugs? Well, it's a great way to ruin your hearing by having something drilling deep into your ear socket. Please, ditch these and use an over-the-ear headphone instead.

And use a 'wired' headphone with a jack, which doesn't need a battery or a recharge.

Having signed on with a streaming service the other day, listening to high quality audio is now a pleasant experience; though the trade off is: my mobile data plan takes a bit of a hit, but at least I can manage that.

So, what aural/audio technology are people using?

jeffrey343
Most of my listening is on my Samsung phone. I use either a cheap ($10) pair of Phillips ear plugs - the sporty type that have a part that secures it to the ear - or a fairly decent Sony noise-cancelling over-the-ear set ($60). The Sony is battery powered. They sound pretty good overall. I'll either stream or play MP3 (320K) music on the phone. I had a Bluetooth headset about seven years ago that I intended to use while running. Even though they were advertised to be good for exercise, I managed to destroy two pairs with my nasty sweaty noggin within just over a year. I got the first one replaced under warranty, but I said screw it after the second one died out of warranty. I wasn't overly impressed with the sound quality either.

Explorer
Sennheiser ear plugs when on the move, dog walking etc and Sennheiser over the ear for home use. They make a robust headphone, either in ear or over that meet my needs, but I've been going deaf since the 70's, too many unregulated (decibel wise) gigs back then, so maybe I'm not the one to ask!!

darkblue
My luddite status means I have only ever use over ear headphones via a jack. Only way to go for me if I'm not listening through speakers.

I currently use Beyer Dynamics.

Oh, and I use ear plugs at concerts to protect my hearing and have done since David Coverdale Ow-Ow-Owwwweeeeeedddd me into submission! What a goodie two shoes I am!

dtabachn
Nothing compares to the sound of an original CD filling the room through amplifiers for me. When trying to not bother others, I prefer in ear Sony into my Sony digital walkman or Sandisk. I recently bought an unexpensive pair of JVC wireless that I still need to try out. Regarding safe volume levels, rule of thumb for me is to still being able to listen to people around me while wearing headphones. Smart phone is my last listening resource, sometimes I even listen to music in YouTube when I find something unavailable elsewhere. I also wear ear protection for live concerts since a certain supporting act got me ringing for a couple of days back in 2015 lol!

swingkingandy
getting these for Xmas ...
Langsdom Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones D2 In-ear Stereo Heavy Bass. for Samsung S7 Edge
current inears couldn't handle the music . thought about Senheisser but too pricey.

Also important is what audio app you use. I tried many and ended up with Poweramp(cost about 3) the difference in quality is quite noticeable. next best was Neutron. Poweramp also plays Flac

gdazegod
Good one Bruce,

I too am a huge fan of Poweramp, and used it for many years. Unfortunately it doesn't provide access to my Network Shares, where I store all my music (terabytes of it). If it did (maybe it now does, I haven't used it in awhile), I'd probably go back to it.

It's far easier for me to access my music from across my LAN, rather than copying folders directly onto my phone, which takes up too much space.

When I'm on the road, I just use my streaming service instead.

Nick C
Very rarely use a smart phone or any portable device for listening as more often than not when I'm out I like to enjoy where I am - but when I do it's usually when I'm out walking along some busy road with it chucking down with rain. Then I tend to use some Bluetooth in ear plugs, mainly because there's no lead for the rain to drip down Grin Not too loud though. At home generally speakers only unless it's getting really late and sometimes I put on the AKG K550s my go to headphone as they're so flat tonally, or maybe my old Grado's but again not too loud....I did enough of that when I was younger at concerts and even on headphones and my hearing probably isn't what it was. I warn my son a lot about it having said that he's into the smooth chilled sounds of stuff like J. Cole rather than Accept at 1000 decibels (although I have got him enjoying some Doobies and Steely Dan).
Edited by Nick C on 09-12-2017 05:44

Flo
I love music and headphones, in ears,
I never use my smarphone for listening to music , i have a DAP (digital audio player) with special In Ears (over the ear and always with a jack)
At home it's speakers and headphones with a separate amp
It's another passion , quite expensive i must admit !!i give up

george_the_jack
I always try to avoid bluetooth headphones when I want to carefully listen to music. They are good for running, gym or listening to podcasts and sports radio (like football matches) but that's pretty much as far as it goes for me with bluetooth audio. Even bluetooth headsets that are capable of receiving the allegedly lossless APT-X format, will never beat the experience of a good wired set IMO. The only bluetooths I have found adequate in terms of audio quality are Bose Soundlink II which I still rarely get out of the house as, being over-ears/full sized headphones, they are rather bulky.
When on the go, I use my ''in ears'' plugged to a portable DAC called ''Dragonfly Red'' which then subsequently connects to my smartphone's usb port via an OTG cable. The sound is excellent in conjunction with some quality rips (FLAC mostly).

My other option is my dedicated DAP (iBasso DX90) which despite being a bit dated now, seriously provides the best portable audio I have ever heard by any device at any price. However, it comes with a flaw - Its battery lasts only for 6-7 hours, so I always keep a spare charged lithium battery in my pocket for long commutes or flights.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Feehan, Tim - 1996 Pray For Rain, New England - 2003 Greatest Hits Live, Bright, The - 2008 In Lucid Dreams, U.D.O - 2009 Dominator, Tight Fit - 1996 The Fine Line, Jungklas, Rob - 1986 Closer To The Flame, Royal Court Of China - 1987 Royal Court Of China, Coastland Ride - 2011 On Top Of The World, Dianno, Paul - 2014 The Beast Arises, Snider, Dee - 2016 We Are The Ones, Black Sabbath - 1986 Seventh Star, Lee, Kevin (And The Lonesome City Kings) - 1993 Restless, McCartney, Paul - 1982 Tug Of War, Easy Action - 1986 That Makes One, Best Of 2015 - 2016 Jeffrey343
Tags©
Nowherefast Florence 99 Kasim Sulton Best Of 2009 Pepper Porter Band Billy Satellite Beau Nasty Wounded Bird Boulder The Jitters Venturia Chilliwack Secret Steps David Roberts Peter Friestedt Judy Street EP Bryan Adams Elevener Chosin Few Wounded Bird Foghat Left End All Star United Steelheart Actors And Actresses Sheena Easton Bonfire Lee Aaron Streetheart Bryan Adams Eight Seconds Wrabit Surrender Essential Series Aldo Nova Sheriff Coney Hatch Reckless Led Zeppelin EP Marseille White Wolf Tygers Of Pan Tang Ayreon
All Tags