Comments: 16579
Ratings: 4791
Forum Posts: 21868
View Thread
GDM » Public » Anything Goes
 Print Thread
2018, the year ahead
gdazegod
My morning commute into work is an interesting observational exercise. It only takes 40 minutes, whereas previously when living in Western Australia, it would take close to an hour. Humanity is becoming a brain dead collection of souls, so tied up in their own little universe that they are oblivious to anything else.

People walk down the street staring into their phones, not looking where they are going, so lost in their world. I've made it a point of walking a straight bee-line for any person who doesn't change course and I bump into them deliberately. I haven't knocked a phone out of their hands as yet, but the way I'm going it won't be long.. lol

And yes, it won't be long before technology changes tack yet again, and soon people will be using some sort of virtual reality headsets to experience their world. Google attempted something a few years back called Google Glass, but due to privacy concerns, it was scrapped. But what goes around comes around, no doubt it will return.

I'm really worried for our future as Artificial Intelligence and Quantum Computing edge nearer to our reality. When it does, I expect there to be a whole lot of trouble. When it does, I'll be moving out of the city to live among the cows, sheep and feral animals. 2018 should be another concerning year for us all, but we can be thankful some things have changed for the better.

For further insights into our near future, go to: https://futurism.com

Nick C
Yeah people are turning into Zombies....nobody even looks around them. As far as technology goes I've always said the next step in the evolution of mankind from Homo Sapien Sapien will be unnatural or man made as it were, either a direct bond of technology to living tissue or evolved biologically technology (biotech) creating a new Homo Sapien subspecies by genome or dna splicing or some other kind of f*cking about (as the technical term goes). We're practically part artificial what with the amount of plastics and silicons now in the food chain!

Eric
I've always been slow with technology and never really embraced it like others i know. I mean, I struggle figuring out whats going on with my phone half the time. Drone technology scares me for a variety of reasons and what is this galloping desire for driver-less cars? Why? I just wasn't made for these times....

gdazegod
Good points Nick. I've heard the term Homo Novus. Maybe it should be Homo Ignoramus?

darkblue
Do you think that if virtual reality becomes an every day way of life that Gene Simmons will have better hair?

If not technology has failed.

Nick C
darkblue wrote:

Do you think that if virtual reality becomes an every day way of life that Gene Simmons will have better hair?

If not technology has failed.

lol

jefflynnefan
This reminds of that movie called "HER" starring Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams.

gdazegod
Is Gene Simmons the Ron Jeremy of Rock?

Nick C
There is nowt much wrong with technology or advancement, but it should be there to serve not to enslave, to free thought and not to constrict it. I'm a huge believer of freewill and self determination, but in the end everyone gets led/influenced to an extent. But what disturbs me is people's willingness to latch onto the tech platforms that surround us all without giving it a thought. Do you really want the chains of your employer reaching out in your private time? Do you want to watch a band or spend the evening experiencing the gig through your phones screen while you record it? People read things on facebook, Twitter e.t.c. and take it as a truth without even questioning it "I saw it on Facebook". Yes I know that manipulation has always been around in newspapers, governments or religious texts but not to the extent where lies and shadowy comments are available in an instant globally with the click of a button, some of them about individuals, cyber bullying, defamation without any basis. Yet people don't question them because they saw it on line so it must be true. The big corporations, governments (they come second to money) religions are turning people into sheep, but then again they always were..."religion is the opiate of the masses", now it's technology and it helps them achieve their ends so much quicker ... prepare to be dumbed down more - enjoy your toys - don't think - comply - work - stay under the thumb - we are the harvest . Shock
Edited by Nick C on 08-12-2017 01:07

Nick C
That's it - I'm off to live in a teepee on the Yorkshire Moors and changing my name to Eckypieluddite. I'll live on rain water and seasonal offerings that the earth provides. P.S. feel free to send me a Pot Noodle...at least I know how to make a fire to boil the water!

gdazegod
Will your family be joining you on this fanciful expedition?

rkbluez
Beware the Phone Zombies!!!

Nick C
jefflynnefan wrote:

This reminds of that movie called "HER" starring Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams.

That was a strange film, I really enjoyed it not the fastest paced film ever though, Phoenix played a really weird guy (looked like Tom Selleck in really bad pants .... I think I said in a review of it somewhere...probably amazon) ...but well worth watching.

Nick C
gdazegod wrote:

Will your family be joining you on this fanciful expedition?

I dunno...I've texted them asking but haven't had a reply!

swazi
Nick C wrote:

at least I know how to make a fire to boil the water!

Do you really?? LOL!!

http://www.bstuenkel.de/2.html
Nick C
swazi wrote:

Nick C wrote:

at least I know how to make a fire to boil the water!

Do you really?? LOL!!

Yes ... yes I do , now where's that Pot Noodle? It's been -7 degrees up here on this barren .... oh so barren moorland. The shelter I've made from some some sticks, a sheet from a farmers washing line that I pinched and some sheep wool plus horse hair I found caught on an old fence is a bit draughty and to top it all a barn owl swooped down and nicked my woolly hat. To top it all through my binoculars I can see my treacherous family who refused to join me, in the valley below and through the window....yes ... yes they're chugging down hot chocolate while gathered round a roaring fire which incidentally I did not build ! Woe is me! So I need cheering up.

swazi
Ha ha ..! Nick, the lost boy scout! Grin

http://www.bstuenkel.de/2.html
george_the_jack
I created a ''Google Assistant'' box by using my own parts and eventually had to abandon the voice triggering option due to privacy concerns... I'm now only triggering it by pressing a button.

Sometimes it's scary to consider what the future holds for humanity.

Jump to Forum:

Search DDG