Black Sabbath - 1989 Devi...
Black Sabbath - 1989 Head...
Neal Schon - 1989 Softly ...
View Thread
GDM » Public » Anything Goes
 Print Thread
Artist Royalties - CD vs Digital vs Streaming
jeffrey343
I am curious as to how much artists get paid for the various ways of distributing their music. Back in the old days, it was always physical product. Then when iTunes and similar platforms came along, we could bypass the physical for a purely digital product (with a loss in quality, although that is decreasing, at least to my ears). And streaming services are now extremely common, where we can stream almost any album by paying a monthly subscription to Google Play / Amazon / Spotify / Amazon / others.

I'm finding that I'm rarely buying a physical CD in favor of purchasing the digital version. I'll buy the CD if I really want to look at the liner notes or if it's the rare album that is not available digitally. I've double-bought a few because I liked the digital version so much that I wanted the additional info from the CD. But I prefer the ease of maintaining a purely digital library. The only reason I really need an actual CD is because my secondary car is old enough (bought in 2001) that the best the stereo can do is audio CD, and I'm too poor (or cheap?) to upgrade the stereo (hope to replace the car in three years). And 256KB or 320KB compression sounds fine to me.

This year, it seems like there are so many good albums coming out that it's hard to buy them all at around $10 for the digital version. I've been able to stream almost everything through Google Play on my phone. And my phone is how I listen to music anywhere but the car in most cases. If I really like an album, I'll purchase it - almost always digitally. But it's been hard to keep up this year.

So - what is the impact of these options to the artists themselves? I know that me streaming the latest Taylor Swift or Beyonce albums (not that I would actually do that) wouldn't deprive them of a living. But the smaller guys in our genre - I want them to earn enough for their work that they can keep doing it. I hope that streaming an album does give them something meaningful.

gdazegod
Streaming is not where artists make their money these days. The royalty return is disproportionate to the effort and cost put in by the artist (if self-released), and label (if signed)

These days, it's live performances and merchandising where the money is made.

Personally, I don't go anywhere near Google Services nor Spotify. If I was to choose a streaming service, it would probably be Deezer.
Edited by gdazegod on 27-10-2017 23:33

darkblue
I'm a luddite and still have no interest in streaming or files.

I like to own 'things' whether it's music, comics, books or whatever. If I can't hold it, I'm not much interested to be honest.

jefflynnefan
Desmond Child talks about the impact of streaming in this interview. You have to scroll down about halfway:

https://www.music...end-i-won/

Nick C
Hmmm...I agree with what he is saying about royalties, but it's kind of old news. Bands and composers were ripped of left, right and centre before the days of streaming by either management, music publishers or record companies. You hear the same story from bands everywhere, because of age and inexperience, bad guidance, shady management, shady record deals and bad decisions lost them money, this is just the same for the digital age just a different system - and it's not confined to the music industry.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Infinity - 2011 Infinity, Dreamtale - 2005 Difference, Epitaph - 1979 Return To Reality, Strangeways - 1997 Any Day Now, Shake City - 2009 Shake City, Rainy Season - 1992 Return, Osmond, Donny - 1989 Donny Osmond (1989) and Eyes Don't Lie (1990), King Company - 2016 One For The Road, Wally - 1974 Wally, Grand Funk Railroad - 1983 What's Funk, Sweet - 1980 Waters Edge, Jans, Tom - 1982 Champion, Stormzone - 2007 Caught In The Act, Hardline - 1992 Double Eclipse, Bad English - 1991 Backlash
Tags©
Great White Dakota Strangeways The Who Rob Rock Boetz IQ Arthur Zwol Harlequin (Canada) Anvil Golden Earring Boom Boom Mancini Actors And Actresses David Hasselhoff Jenson Interceptor Alan Parsons Project Alan Parsons AdrianGale Zappacosta Wounded Bird Jim Capaldi Midnight Flyer Maggie Bell Petra Oleander Urban Tale Fire (Malta) Its Alive King Kobra Colosseum II Fast Machine Warp Drive EP Boetz Soundtrack Various Artists Firefall
All Tags
Search DDG