Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Rock Candy Magazine.
Explorer
The good folk at Rock Candy have now, it seems started a magazine. They have a Facebook page as well as a website, although the website is nothing more than a front page at present. It's being run by Derek Oliver, Malcolm (no relation) Dome and Howard Johnson...more details to follow presumably.
https://www.faceb...8196183197
http://www.rockca...

gdazegod
Aha.. a ready made replacement for the dearly departed 'Classic Rock Presents.. AOR' magazine. Superb.

darkblue
I may be biased (I am) but I'd venture that Fireworks is already doing a pretty good job of that...

gdazegod
I wouldn't know Steven, I've never read a single issue of Fireworks. I've never seen it for sale in any Newsagency in Australia, nor have I been compelled to import it. Sorry to say.

Explorer
It'll be interesting to see how they approach it, but I'm with Steven on this in that Fireworks has it covered already. With the relatively newly added features such as 'The bands that time forgot','Women in Rock' and most recently Reyno's excellent 1973 article.

gdazegod
We have similar ideas at GDM. The good thing with web articles, they more or less stay online forever. Magazines? Well, less so. Especially if the wife is fond of spring cleaning and all those carton boxes in the attic that is attracting dust.. lol

darkblue
As with my music, I'm a physical product man (otherwise known as a dinosaur!).

I do contribute over at Sea of Tranquility and also Fireworks' website Rocktopia, but I still prefer to hold a physical magazine in my hands, whether that be for music, sci-fi or sports.

And my other half wouldn't dream of binning any of my dust gathering collections! Shock

Oh and edit to say that we've made a lot of changes to the magazine lately, so anyone who has tried it in the past should maybe have another wee look. Cool
Edited by darkblue on 24-03-2017 19:39

englandashes
I do like the changes to Fireworks, although I have made a decision to stop buying Powerplay, been the same format for years. But I do miss the live reports in Fireworks. Dark blue article on Status Quo, well Bob Young, was very good, and I have never been a big fan of Status Quo, just a very interesting angle.Well done.

darkblue
englandashes wrote:

I do like the changes to Fireworks, although I have made a decision to stop buying Powerplay, been the same format for years. But I do miss the live reports in Fireworks. Dark blue article on Status Quo, well Bob Young, was very good, and I have never been a big fan of Status Quo, just a very interesting angle.Well done.

Cheers mate, thank you! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed putting that together with Bob. He's written numerous books on Quo but I reckon a book about him would prove just as, if not even more, interesting.

Good to hear you like the changes. We agonised over the live reviews (and I'd have kept them to be honest) but with moving to having some longer features and more regular columns, space became an issue (even though we've got more pages than before). However the main reason was the thought that with going quarterly, most of the reviews would be months out of date by the time they were printed. It's not the same but all of the live reviews (and more) now go up on Rocktopia, so they are available, just not in print unfortunately.

englandashes
Never put two and two together regarding Young and Moody, being the Young involved in Status Quo, even though I have a Young and Moody album. If you need a challenge Darkblue, what about tracking down the German football international Thomas Hassler about the MTM label that he was involved in, remember a feature in Frontiers, but loved to know about why the plug was pulled on the label, and whatever happened to the M, being Magnus....I do think we owe a lot to these guys, remember the short lived Empire label !

darkblue
That's an interesting idea, although I think you'll be right on it being a challenge!

rostoned
Hi anybody knows if this Rock Candy Magazine will be a digital only release or a physical one too? Available only from them (so a fanzine/private press) or distributed in newstands too (in UK only like Fireworks, I doubt very much elsewhere....)? I wonder also if (Dave) reyno(lds)-roxx will be part of it even if I read he's writing for FRWRKS too, same for Derek Oliver (as a writer I mean)!

Explorer
A physical release I believe but not available in stores, so you have to order it online.

darkblue
rostoned wrote:

Hi anybody knows if this Rock Candy Magazine will be a digital only release or a physical one too? Available only from them (so a fanzine/private press) or distributed in newstands too (in UK only like Fireworks, I doubt very much elsewhere....)? I wonder also if (Dave) reyno(lds)-roxx will be part of it even if I read he's writing for FRWRKS too, same for Derek Oliver (as a writer I mean)!

From their Facebook, physical (no talk of digital so far) £9.99 per issue, but free postage worldwide and available only to order directly from them, not on sale from stores. No idea on the writing team.

Oh and Fireworks is available in certain areas of the US and Canada. Cool

reyno-roxx
http://www.rockcandymag.com/

rostoned
From their newly launched full site, here's the list of (current) contributors of RCM

--------------------------------
Derek Oliver (Kerrang!)
Howard Johnson (Kerrang!, Metal Hammer, Raw)
Malcolm Dome (Kerrang!, Raw)
Jerry Ewing (Metal Hammer, Prog)
Paul ‘Gooner' Elliott (Kerrang!, Sounds)
Philip Wilding (Kerrang!)
Mark Blake (Q. Not very metal, but we've let him off!)
Paul Suter (Kerrang!)
Xavier Russell (Kerrang!)
Dave ‘Wiggy' Reynolds (Metal Forces, Kerrang!)
Jason Arnopp (Kerrang!)

No doubt more of the old guard will be making their Rock Candy Mag debuts in the months to come.

gdazegod
Nice.

mickey
The old Kerrang was bigger than life.

Explorer
In the UK at least, we have yet another new Rock Magazine. Radio Station Planet Rock have launched their own Mag. as a first issue I didn't find it that enthralling, and like the Rock Candy mag I won't be getting every issue unless there is something that piques my interest.

Eric
mickey wrote:

The old Kerrang was bigger than life.

Yes, I mention the impact of Kerrang! in a small way in an upcoming review. For me, Kerrang! was my connection to real rock (with Sounds) and the UK which I always believed to be the epicenter of my music. Those early 80's issues were indispensable and they had the balls to put Fish on a cover when no one else would.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Jaugernaut - 2003 Interview with Jim Johnston, Foreigner - 1991 Unusual Heat, New England and John Fannon - 2013 Live (Gig Review), Bridge, The - 1997 Demo, Aviary - 2003 Interview with Brad Love and Toby Bowen, Savage - 2012 Sons Of Malice, Godz, The - 2012 Last Of The Outlaws, Uptown Sinclair - 2001 8 Songs, H.E.A.T (Sweden) - 2017 Into The Great Unknown, Chicago - 1988 Chicago 19, Kidd Glove - 1984 Kidd Glove, Angeline - 2011 Disconnected, Night Ranger - 2011 Somewhere In California, Secrets - 1983 Everyone's A Spy, Room Experience - 2015 Room Experience
Tags©
Rush Michael Bolton Styx Legacy EP Fusician Ten Ten Regatta Kingfish Beau Coup Thunderstone Benny Mardones Alessi Wounded Bird Vain Davy Vain 3-D April Wine Tufano & Giammarese Band Tora Tora TKO Rock Candy Records Jason Gonzalez Poison Cressida Baby Blue Roadmaster Supremium Comedy Of Errors Drugplan Horizon (France) Best Of 2015 Roger Joseph Manning (Jnr) Jellyfish TRW
All Tags