Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Alcatrazz reissues (HNE)
gdazegod
There's a lot of activity in the Graham Bonnet camp of late, including a complete reissue of all the Alcatrazz studio albums from the Hear No Evil/Cherry Red label.

No Parole From Rock N Roll (HNE 062)
Live Sentence (HNE 063)
Disturbing The Peace (HNE 065)
Dangerous Games (HNE 066)

As a set, I'd be interested in picking these up, but not sure what the quality would be like. I suspect HNE do a reasonable job, and was wondering whether anyone here had acquired one or more of these CD's?

Cheers.
George

darkblue
I've picked them all up George - as well as the HNE/Cherry Red reissues of Bonnet's dodgier earlier/unreleased material and the two recent Blackthorne releases (one a set of good previously unreleased demos, which I really like and inspired me to hunt down the Murderer's Row album that some of it became (Bob Kulick is killer!)).

HNE do a good job with their reissues, all remastered but not to within an inch of their lives and with decent liner notes with Bonnet and Waldo's input.

Be warned however that if the bonus material is a deal breaker then much of it is rough as hell. The instrumental bonuses on No Parole are just that, while the DVD with Live Sentence hasn't been tarted up from VHS quality (but it is a good watch, if a little uncomfortable, as the lack of chemistry between Bonnet and Malmsteen is obvious).

Same again on Disturbing, the bonus instrumentals are ho-hum, but the Steve Vai rehearsal track is quite interesting, if poor quality. The DVD with the Vai show on it is really good though (better than the Yngwie one on Sentence, but again we're talking grainy footage). However the Dangerous Games bonus live material is billed as an 'audience recording', which means bootleg and it really isn't even a great bootleg sound wise.

That all said, they all get a thumbs up from me.

gdazegod
Thank you Steven,

I would pick these up mainly from a collectors perspective, including the Bonnet, Malmsteen, Vai and New England connections. The bonus material is neither here or there for me. In fact, just about any reissued album with bonus tracks, I very rarely take an interest in, and thinking about it now, I'm hard-pressed to think of anything that stands out for me.. perhaps Blue Oyster Cult at a pinch.

Cheers.
George

darkblue
gdazegod wrote:

Thank you Steven,

I would pick these up mainly from a collectors perspective, including the Bonnet, Malmsteen, Vai and New England connections. The bonus material is neither here or there for me. In fact, just about any reissued album with bonus tracks, I very rarely take an interest in, and thinking about it now, I'm hard-pressed to think of anything that stands out for me.. perhaps Blue Oyster Cult at a pinch.

Cheers.
George

Bonus tracks can sway my decision sometimes George, but 99 times out of 100, if I buy a reissue then it's for the main album. I've listened/watched all of the bonuses on the 4 Alcatrazz's but other than the Vai live DVD I'll probably not do so again.

When I started typing I was going to give some examples of reissues where the bonuses have added real value. However from the top of my head, I can't! OH! The recent Anthony Phillips reissues (also by Cherry Red), the Private Parts and Pieces boxes have a bonus disc each which are excellent.

rkbluez
IMO the only cool bonus tracks are songs that were recorded during the session for the album that didn't make the cut for one reason or another on said album...not big on shitty sounding live stuff or lame demo tracks...the regular album with pristine sound is all I'm looking for 99% of the time.

RobLynott
Exactly that, Rk! Outtakes are hidden gems quite often (The river outtakes from Springsteen are fantasic for example as are the Thin Lizzy ones in the deluxe editions). And single b-sides are very welcome, too. But mostly it's for a better sounding main album.

Nick C
I agree I'm not overly interested in extra tracks unless they are outtakes. But if I'm really into a band I'll buy a single CD or box set of demos, outtakes e.t.c. Like the Big Star - Keep An Eye on the Sky which is stuffed full of unreleased bits n bobs. (But even I'm not sure about the Complete Third that's coming out), or the absolutely sublime Jellyfish - Joining a Fan Club box.
I think a lot of it is seen as adding value or making the album a must re-buy for people/fans who already own it or have to have everything.
But 90% of the time I can do without them as they ruin the flow of the album especially ones you've grown up with. A prime example for me is Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial I always dart up from wherever I'm listening as the final 'proper' track finishes as the crashing noise of the 1st bonus live track following the main album ruins the mood. There are some labels that tend to do it right though and Rock Candy springs to mind.
Ideally all bonus tracks would be a separate disc but then that would be a lot more expensive.

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Bleu, Frankie - 1981 Who's Foolin' Who, Firefall - 1978 Elan, Pretty Boy Floyd - 1989 Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz, Night Ranger - 1985 7 Wishes, Takasaki, Akira - 1982 Tusk Of Jaguar, Joshua - 1988 Intense Defence, Gentle Giant - 1980 Civilian, Molly Hatchet - 1979 Flirtin' With Disaster, Lynn Allen - 2009 Nine, After Hours - 1988 Take Off, Blue Oyster Cult - 1983 The Revolution By Night, Prism - 1980 Young And Restless, White Heart - 1992 Tales Of Wonder, Sunstorm - 2011 Emotional Fire, Royal Court Of China - 1987 Royal Court Of China
Tags©
Megadeth Kansas David Bowie Reece Arlan Day Rock Candy Records Wounded Bird Gamma Ricki Lee Jones Work Of Art Dare Twisted Motivations Wounded Bird Crawler Rock Candy Records Enuff Znuff Rainbow Lillian Axe Rock Candy Records Rock And Hyde The Payolas Michael Batio Nitro Jim Gilette Raven Fast Forward Stark & O Brien Stefan Andersson Marianus UFO Khymera At Vance Sing Sing Art Of Anarchy Holding Pattern EP City Boy Paul Rodgers Queen Kiss
All Tags