Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Rock Candy July reissues
reyno-roxx
Hopefully the July 1st releases from Rock Candy will please more than a few of you as, in addition to the two Girl albums (both with bonus tracks), the two Target albums will be issued (with bonus tracks) plus one I had the pleasure of writing the essay for in the form of Bullseye's 'On Target' with three bonus tracks that were taken off the original record by the label and replaced by three newer tunes.
More great stuff to come!

Explorer
That's more like it.

rkbluez
Wow that's 5 for 5 this time...I never scored the Girl CD's and the Target and Bullseye stuff have never been on disc. Will have to put some cash aside for July...I'd much rather buy great old classic stuff like these than a lot of the newer stuff.

reyno-roxx
I knew you'd like these Steve!

rkbluez
The Bullseye was a real surprise...what a great obscure album that is...and I've been waiting for the Girl albums to get reissued forever...throw in the Targets and July looks to be a very good month for our favorite type of music.

rkbluez
What's up with June...seems they are releasing some new music...here's one by a band called Tempt...Dave can you shed any light on this.

http://www.amazon...ROCK+CANDY

reyno-roxx
Answer at their Facebook page. Derek thought they were too good to ignore and signed then up.

darkblue
rkbluez wrote:

What's up with June...seems they are releasing some new music...here's one by a band called Tempt...Dave can you shed any light on this.

http://www.amazon...ROCK+CANDY

They're good Steve, I've heard their debut EP. I think you'll like them.

darkblue
reyno-roxx wrote:

Hopefully the July 1st releases from Rock Candy will please more than a few of you as, in addition to the two Girl albums (both with bonus tracks), the two Target albums will be issued (with bonus tracks) plus one I had the pleasure of writing the essay for in the form of Bullseye's 'On Target' with three bonus tracks that were taken off the original record by the label and replaced by three newer tunes.

More like it??

Yes indeed!

rkbluez
darkblue wrote:

They're good Steve, I've heard their debut EP. I think you'll like them.

Heard some live stuff on You Tube good guitarist I'll probably check them out.

RobLynott
Has anyone heard the July releases yet? These titles are very interesting, but I'm very suspicious about the sound quality to be honest. Especially in the case of Target und Bullseye... So, is it any good and what about the source (vinyl, master tapes etc.)?

rkbluez
The Targets and the Bullseye sound good but they could of been done from vinyl if so excellent job...the Girl CD's sound really good also.

i bought all 5 of them and was happy with all 5 of them with the exception of the live bonus disc that comes with Wasted Youth the sound of the original concert I figure wasn't good and neither is this bonus disc version...would of been happy if they didn't even include that.

Hopefully the up coming TKO - Let It Roll will be an improvement over the Divebomb version that was riddled with ticks.

RobLynott
Rk, why do you think it's done from vinyl? Hmm... anyway, that doesn't sound very promising for me.

Don't know about the 'strange' sources, RC is using for some releases. I've listened to 'Ian Thomas: The runner' last week and the sound is pretty muffled to say the least. Then I compared some tracks with his 2007 best of 'Looking back'. Really, it's like night and day. The 2007 remastering is crystal clear and obviously from the master tapes. So, the master tapes MUST be available somewhere, but RC is not using them which is a shame. I would be surprised if this is a liscensing problem, because it's an Anthem release... and the Max Webster and Wireless remasters are very good.

RobLynott
Speaking of Max Webster: Why are 'A Million Vacations' and 'Universal Juveniles' still not out on RC?

rkbluez
Yes I'll second the Max Webster's...they really need to do 'A Million Vacations' and 'Universal Juveniles'...they did a great job on the first three.

Rob they are probably from vinyl because as you noticed with the Ian Thomas and I noticed on the 3 Rage CD's they sound really good but are lacking the highs and crispness that only master tapes can afford...the highs are definitely suppressed a little but they are still very good quality and nice and punchy...probably the only way you'll ever see them on CD and well worth picking up IMO if you like this band...the music is great stuff.

Carl Noonan
Rock Candy releases never say they are from the original master tapes. They say they are from the original source tapes, which could mean anything. Havind said that they do a great job with them 99% of the time.

RobLynott
rk, but it's not an answer to my question. I don't think 'Ian Thomas: The Runner' sounds good on RC, but the Sony/Anthem compilation does, which has three songs from that particular album. So, is RC too lazy to get the existing (!!) master tapes... or what? My verdict: They simply avoid the best available source sometimes and get the easiest available (which is a simple vinyl transfer). For me this reissue policy is bullshit to be honest.

And it's hard for me to understand, why a label that is so proud of its legal high quality products (and they often deliver the goods!) is NOT giving any information about the EXACT source. Other reissue labels like Esoteric or Iconoclassic do it the right way.

Although the RC booklets are always a very nice read - in the end it's always the music and the sound quality that REALLY matters!

rkbluez
Agree 100% with you Rob I'd rather have a good sounding disc than a nice package I've been saying that for years now.

Trouble is there isn't a whole lot of labels fighting for the rights to do the Target and Bullseye disc's and since I no longer have a turntable I can live with the way the Target's and the Bullseye sound they are nice and punchy but a little muffled in the high end opposed to a real master tape remaster for sure...but they are very listenable and can be tweaked.

It is a little frustrating to buy these hyped up CD's only to find out they aren't all they are built up to be...but a lot of the master tapes were lost or never stored properly and it's an expensive and time consuming process to restore them so that's more likely the reason as it is laziness on Rock Candy's part.
Edited by rkbluez on 05-08-2016 01:35

rostoned
reyno-roxx wrote:

Hopefully the July 1st releases from Rock Candy... one I had the pleasure of writing the essay for in the form of Bullseye's 'On Target' with three bonus tracks that were taken off the original record by the label and replaced by three newer tunes.

Dave I will be very happy to read again a new set of liner notes of yours on a RC title, after quite some time me thinks (correct?)! I missed your work a lot in that sense, same for Stephen Allen (aka Mr Pomp) who is MIA unfortunately and Derek himself too whose notes were absolutely fantastic (recently I read his essay on Riot Narita and especially Icon NOTC, incredible stuff!), too bad he doesnt pen them anymore.

I have nothing personal vs Malcolm 'Parsley' Dome, but really any kind of reissue I get on almost any label and genre in da rock spectrum (from Alcatrazz to Budgie, from City Boy to Faith No More, from Kestrel (!) to Joe Byrd (!!) to even Monster Magnet too!!!) he's there. At the end of the day I wonder how much enthusiasm, passion, time and research he can put if he has a set of liners to do every minute. and the next too....... confused

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Tokyo Science - 1986 Tokyo Science (ep), Michaels, Gordon - 1979 Stargazer, Bishop And Gwinn - 1979 This Is Our Night, Runner - 1979 Runner, Tiles - 1997 Fence The Clear, Carnes, Kim - 1981 Mistaken Identity, Dream Theater - 2009 Black Clouds And Sliver Linings, Brazen Abbot - 1996 Eye Of The Storm, Ligeia - 2004 Gloria, Osmond, Donny - 1989 Donny Osmond (1989) and Eyes Don't Lie (1990), Harlan Cage - 1998 Double Medication Tuesday, Face To Face - 1984 Face To Face, Richie, Lionel - 1986 Dancing On The Ceiling, Dire Straits - 1980 Making Movies, Siam - 1994 The Language Of Menace
Tags©
Boneyard Dog Wounded Bird Souther Hillman Furay Band Point Blank Joey Stec Yesterrock Idle Tears Buster Brown Hall And Oates Aniday Robby Valentine Y&T Pearl Handle Band Oliver Hartmann Alaska Bernie Marsden Newman The Bridge Electric Eels Cintron UFO Brazen Abbot Nikolo Kotsev Van Halen Shy (UK) Nectarine Nightwish Norway Stoneflower Judie Tzuke Frozen Tears Best Of Decade 2000-2009 Victory Group The States Norman And Sexton Cheap Trick
All Tags