Rick Manwiller - Dakota
Jimmy Bain - Rainbow, Dio, Wild Horses
Paul Kantner - Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, KBC Band
Sir Terry Wogan

February 2016
Maurice White - Earth, Wind And Fire
Vanity - Vanity 6 (Prince side band)
Rusty Burns - Point Blank
Piotr Grunzinski - Riverside (Poland Prog band)

March 2016
John Thomas - Budgie
Ross Hannaford - Daddy Cool
Sir George Martin - The Beatles
Jon English - Australian actor, and singer (featured here at GDM)
Keith Emerson - Emerson, Lake And Palmer
David Zychek - Airborne
Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman - Thunderclap Newman

April 2016
Billy Paul - singer, famous for his song 'Me And Mrs Jones'.
Lonnie Mack - famed 50's and 60's blues guitarist
Prince Rogers Nelson - 80's superstar
Merle Haggard - country music legend

May 2016
Jeff Kent - House Of Lords
Isao Tomita - Japanese synthesist
Nick Menza - Megadeth drummer

June 2016
Bill Ham - longtime ZZ Top manager

July 2016
Roye Albrighton - Nektar, Grand Alliance
Sandy Pearlman - Blue Oyster Cult

August 2016
Billy (B.E.] Taylor

September
Jerry Corbetta - Sugarloaf, Solo

November 2016
Leonard Cohen

December 2016
Greg Lake - ELP, King Crimson, Asia, solo
Rick Parfitt - Status Quo
George Michael - Wham!

January 2017
David A Saylor - Push (UK), Solo, WIld Rose (Greece)
Butch Trucks - Allman Brothers
John Wetton - Family, King Crimson, U.K., Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Roxy Music, Asia, Wetton-Downes, Solo

February 2017
Deke Leonard - Man (Wales)
Steve Lang - April Wine
Al Jarreau
Edited by gdazegod on 14-02-2017 22:58

tompa
And now Jimmy Bain. Read on youtube Brian Miller, guitarist with Zon passed away last september. Not forgetting John Garner of Sir Lord Baltimore and Terry Horbury of Dirty Tricks late in 2015.

Eric
Its life and something I've never been able to get my head around. Musicians pass like everyone else while some have affected me more than others including Freddie Mercury where I actually pulled my car over in a snow storm after hearing the news on the radio just stunned and shed a tear, my friend Gary Strater whose death pushed me away from music for a year or more and David Bowie's recent passing which has shaken me to the core.

We are all getting older and like taxes, more of this is coming our way. Enjoy life while its here, crank the tunes and live it to the fullest!

Nick C
Flipping heck Brian Miller ....R.I.P. Nice words as well Eric! Where's that volume control?

englandashes
The giant, Maurice White, from Earth Wind and Fire has sadly departed, legend.

Explorer
Just hearing that Rick Parfitt from The Quo has passed away aged just 68. What an awful year 2016 has been for rock music, so many greats lost to us all.

englandashes
Going to play 'Mystery Song' tonight, remember waking up early one Christmas to find my first proper record player, with Quo's Just Supposin album placed on top, another piece of my childhood gone, cheerio Rick.

darkblue
Yeah, very sad news indeed. I got a walkman for Christmas many years ago and alongside it were Just Supposin' and Rocking All Over The World, with Bomber and Ace Of Spade by Motorhead.

A great introduction to music and sadly 2016 has put paid to both acts - even if Quo may well continue.

reyno-roxx
Rick was a true rock star. Quo were the first band I ever saw live in the late 70s and reignited my interest in music, which promptly took over my life over football and following F1. Rick was also indirectly responsible for the Wiggy nickname that I got lumbered with at Kerrang! after he made a dig about my hair during an interview I conducted with he and Francis Rossi in 1988. I am very saddened by his passing. Rock In Peace Rick.

Eric
Never a big Quo fan but their legions of followers are a testament to the great band they were, especially live. R.I.P. Rick P.

Special mention for Dennis Lee Askew of the Ameriprog band Universe who put out one collectable album in 1977. Dennis and I have been in touch off and on for several years and he was one of the nicest guys around. He passed away suddenly last Wednesday. Sad

gdazegod
Wasn't Prince Charles a big Quo fan too from the 70's.. lol

englandashes
Yes George, he went to one their concerts, which was screened live on the BBC, I remember watching it.

englandashes
George Michael has also gone, very sad news.

jeffrey343
I just saw the George Michael news. That's a shock, as he was only 53 and not rumored (as far as I know) to be in poor health. His former partner lives in Dallas (as I do), so he got more press here than in most places, as they were very big in the local art scene. As far as his music, while he was definitely more pop-oriented than most of the artists mentioned on this site, he was an artist I listened to more than many of the others who have recently passed away. I go through phases where I listen a lot to the SiriusXM 80s channel in the car, and he gets a lot of airplay there (both with Wham! and solo). His solo work could be somewhat hit-or-miss for me, but many of his songs are iconic songs of the 80s.

gdazegod
I will admit to purchasing a Wham! LP back in 1984 or thereabouts. And then being razzed about buying it from my co-workers who thought of me as the Metal Messiah!! haha..

englandashes
His version of Somebody To Love at the Freddie tribute concert was excellent, I wonder what it would had been like if George had worked with Brian and Roger further.

gdazegod
Malcolm will give you an opinion on that for sure Chris.. Grin

reyno-roxx
Sadly George's health had been on a decline for some years. Regardless of the image he had either solo or with Wham, his talent and ability were beyond question. He deserved the success. A fantastic singer.

Explorer
Yep, I'll agree with Dave, I do have his greatest hits in my collection and without doubt he was a truly gifted songwriter, but alas like so many others had his own personal demons which I believe he struggled to deal with.

darkblue
Not a fan of his music (although 'Faith' is still a very good song), but he was a tremendous vocalist, and it's a tragedy to see anyone gone so young.

Jump to Forum:

Search DDG