Comments: 16579
Ratings: 4791
Forum Posts: 21868
View Thread
GDM » Public » Obituaries
 Print Thread
2016/2017 - Keeping A Tab
dtabachn
George Michael's passing is very sad news as a music fan and given the fact he was a young man as well. I also recognize I enjoyed Wham back in the 80s and George's contribution to the Queen tribute concert was terrific.

richardb
Agree with all of the comments above, a very gifted singer and songwriter. IMHO he stole the show at the Freddie Mercury tribute - a tremendous vocal performance. It's intriguing to think what Queen might have been like with him as frontman. Despite his personal demons, George Michael was a decent person who never sought publicity for his numerous acts of generosity and kindness for which he never sought publicity. He was a client of the firm I used to work for in London, so I witnessed this genorosity first hand. Sad to say this is rare with celebrities these days (don't get ne started on Victoria Beckham and her OBE..)

This makes his untimely passing doubly sad in my book...

richardb
Agree with all of the comments above, a very gifted singer and songwriter. IMHO he stole the show at the Freddie Mercury tribute - a tremendous vocal performance. It's intriguing to think what Queen might have been like with him as frontman. Despite his personal demons, George Michael was a decent person who never sought publicity for his numerous acts of generosity and kindness. He was a client of the firm I used to work for in London, so I witnessed this generosity first hand. Sad to say this is rare with celebrities these days (don't get me started on Victoria Beckham and her OBE..)

This makes his untimely passing doubly sad in my book...

Face Dancer
pj here. it's a bit twisted that both Emerson and Lake passed in the same year, isn't it? and even more twisted that the truly gifted often die so young.

p.s. richardb has the best avatar ever! wut a kewl cat. headphone

Explorer
Just hearing the sad news that Pete 'Overend' Watts, Bassist with Mott The Hoople has passed away today after a long battle with Throat Cancer.....yet another of my heroes gone.

Carl Noonan
Sad to hear, always a big fan of Mott

Nick C
Aw! That is sad...the missus rang me at work to tell me! He was my fave member of Mott...in fact of all the glam bands I'd see at the time he was the one who I thought was the coolest. I'd watch him on TOTP and he almost looked otherworldly I thought he was so cool, I always said I wanted hair like his and swore I was going to grow it long and dye it to look like that when I got older to my mates when I was about 10-12...I never actually dyed it though! R.I.P. P.O.W.

Explorer
MTH will always hold a special place with me as they were the first band I saw live. Overend was a real star and he had that certain aura. R.I.P.......(Edit) I've just read an email that Overend sent to Morgan Fisher not long before his passing, incredibly moving.
Edited by Explorer on 23-01-2017 15:41

Eric
Butch Trucks- Drummer and founding member of the Allman Brothers has passed at 69.

Explorer
Is 69 the new 27 !!

Explorer
Deke Leonard of 1970's Welsh rockers Man, and Deke Leonard's Iceberg passed away age 72.

Nick C
Flipping heck...this is unrelenting. Over the last few years I've come to love Man ... still slowly building my collection, that is a sad loss of a great and hugely underrated musician.

tompa
Although I've always, through My Friends, have been aware of Man it isn't until later years I've Come to appreciate them. They made some fantastic songs, such as the title track of The Welsh Connection, A particular favorite att the moment. That is one hell of A track.

Eric
Sad news about Deke. Man were a fantastic band.....

Jump to Forum:

Search DDG