Theme Switcher
Switch to:

mewe

Join us over at the Facebook replacement MeWe.com. Join up and become part of 2018's great migration off of Facebook.
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Stats
Album Reviews: 6679
Comments: 16714
Ratings: 4967
Forum Posts: 22735
View Thread
 Print Thread
Early 80s AOR Albums
chrismayek
Going through the Encyclopedia of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal last night, I discovered three AOR albums I previously hadn't heard of:

Rick DuFay - Tender Loving Abuse (1981)

Ellen Shipley - Breaking Through The Ice Age (1980)
*Two tracks from this album are on youtube. Vocally she's a mix of Ellen Foley, Pat Benatar, and Olivia Newton John

Dianne Heatherington - Hearthington Rocks (1980)
*Raspy and powerful voiced canadian singer similar to Patty Weaver, Darby Mills, Martee Lebow, etc

gdazegod
I have the Diane Hetherington, it's OK. Don't have the other two.

reyno-roxx
Of the three the Ellen Shipley is by far the best.

Eric
Wasn't the Hetherington album produced by one of the Triumph guys? I don't think it was Emmett? Maybe it was? I seem to remember Shipley doing a tour with Cheap Trick back when they did 364 shows a year(!). Or maybe that was Carolyn Mas? Arrghh...helpless

reyno-roxx
Eric, it was produced by Keith Whitey (FM). Rik Emmett does guest on guitar. Dianne sadly passed away in 1996.

chrismayek
reyno-roxx wrote:

Of the three the Ellen Shipley is by far the best.

I agree, based off of what I've heard so far. Dianne Heatherington has a great cover of Helfer Skelter on her album, though

jefflynnefan
I have that Shipley album on vinyl along with Foley's 'Another Breath' album.

Have you ever heard of Wendy Matthews from Australia? She's got a great voice. You might like her 1990 debut album. I don't understand why she didn't try hard in the USA, she could have even done CandW if she wanted too.

Here she is singing Toto's 'Hold The Line' with Johnny Galvatron:

https://youtu.be/...

Explorer
Did someone mention Ellen Foley???, although not quite the 80's, 1979 is close enough isn't it?.Her 'Nightout' album is a corker with a great OTT full on Phil Spector type production job by the dream team that was Hunter/Ronson.

Geir
'Breaking Through the Ice Age' is easily the best among Ellen Shipley's three solo albums from the late '70s and early '80s. She's a dynamic and powerful singer, her songs at times pack more of a punch than people give her credit for, and '...Ice Age' flows quite well from beginning to end. It's also the overall most AOR/melodic rock oriented of her three discs.

I made a custom Ellen Shipley compilation disc for myself at some point, and just to illustrate my point, it features four songs from her debut album, six from '...Ice Age', plus five from 'Call of the Wild' (1983). It does make for a strong, if somewhat musically directionally challenged fifteen tracker overall! Wink

On a final note: Both Rich Cerniglia and Steve Vitale from Shipley's backing band would later go on to form Aviator - how's that for AOR credibility? Thumbs Up

chrismayek
Explorer wrote:

Did someone mention Ellen Foley???, although not quite the 80's, 1979 is close enough isn't it?.Her 'Nightout' album is a corker with a great OTT full on Phil Spector type production job by the dream team that was Hunter/Ronson.

I agree, Nightout is a great album. Another Breath is good too but not quite as strong overall, though it's more of an AOR album than Nightout is

Jump to Forum:

Articles Cloud
Lovecraft - 1975 We Love You, Whoever You Are, Allies - 1986 Virtues, Tesla - 1991 Psychotic Supper, Shy - 1985 Brave The Storm, Squier, Billy - 1980 Tale Of The Tape, Roberts, Paul - 1985 City Without Walls, Buster Brown - 1984 Loud And Clear, Ten - 2000 Babylon, Honeymoon Suite - 1984 Honeymoon Suite, Alias - 1990 Alias, Jet - 1981 Empty Handed, Seventh Key - 2013 I Will Survive, Keel - 1987 Keel, Sabu - 1985 Heartbreak, Faith Nation - 1999 Ordinary People
Tags©
Alice Cooper Adelaide (Band) Portugal Dream Theater Joe Pasquale The Carpenters Richard Carpenter Kim Hill Peter Hammill Nelson Lionel Richie Uriah Heep Kenny Stewart Yes Jet Detroit The Look Lillian Axe Rock Candy Records James House Neil Carswell AC/DC Jefferson Starship Bad Sister My Son The Bum Revolution Road Bryan Hughes Jade Hegel Rick Springfield Actors And Actresses Quartz Pink Cream 69 Finis Henderson Sandy Stewart Wounded Bird
All Tags