Forum Posts: 22005
View Thread
GDM » Public » Reissues
 Print Thread
Esoteric Recordings Latest
RobLynott
Out on August 28th:

GTR: 2 CD Deluxe edition

This sounds pretty interesting to me. A sonic update would be awesome as the sound of the original cd is not that great to say the least. My suggestion for the bonus stuff: The KBFH concert from '86 and the alternate mix of the album.

darkblue
Agreed Rob. Would love to hear the GTR with improved sound and hopefully the bonus disc lives up to your suggestion!

Eric
From Burning Shed's Newsletter:

'Steve Hackett and Steve Howe's short-lived mid 1980s AOR supergroup get the Esoteric deluxe treatment.

Re-mastered, this edition includes a bonus CD of GTR live in Los Angeles in July 1986. There are also three tracks taken from promotional 12-inch singles, two of which appear on CD for the first time.

Contains a booklet that fully restores the original album artwork and features a new essay.'

Needless to say, I will be buying a copy.

Eric
I'd like to see them do the same to Emerson Lake and Powell as well as Three's 'To The Power Of Three'. The 70's Utopia catalog as well.

Explorer
Eric, Edsel did a pretty good job with the 70's Utopia back catalogue a few years back, and of course Esoteric did give us the wonderfully daft 'Disco Jets'.

RobLynott
Correct, the Edsel reissues of 70's and early 80's Utopia are damn fine. Now, only Utopia's 1982 self titled album still needs to be remastered.

gdazegod
I have two GTR albums worth of material, apart from their official CD. There was a King Biscuit release which came out on CD in 1997, plus the 'Nerotrend' material, reputably from their unreleased second album featuring both Robert Berry and Max Bacon on vocals.

Wondering whether any of this material makes it onto the Esoteric release.

darkblue
It would be great if they could include that content on the GTR reissue. I'd rather hear unreleased material than live shows personally.

Also, agree on the Emerson Lake and Powell. I'd like to see that given a good comprehensive reissue.

Carl Noonan
They've already announced the content, it's the King Biscuit show and a few b sides.

darkblue
Sorry Carl, I didn't word that well. I'd prefer the unreleased second album material to the live show.

Carl Noonan
Me too mate :-) Already have the KBFH and the Jap remaster in mini lp sleeve so no point getting it again.

RobLynott
Has anyone heard the new GTR remaster?

darkblue
RobLynott wrote:

Has anyone heard the new GTR remaster?

I have Rob. I'm not as 'focused' on the remixing and sound as some (I'm happy not to upgrade my vinyl for example), but think the sound is good and the remaster sympathetically handled.

Decent sound on the live disc too.

Jump to Forum:

Search DDG